Final Fantasy Armory Community Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

New Desktop PC

Mujahed
    Mujahed

New Desktop PC Empty New Desktop PC

Post  Mujahed Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:54 am

Hey everyone,

I am thinking of building a new PC. I require your assistance in this matter, what I need of you is to list the devices that would be excellent for a gaming game, specially Final Fantasy. :D
    Yoruichi
    Yoruichi

New Desktop PC Empty Re: New Desktop PC

Post  Yoruichi Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:04 am

ok...how does this sound? (my PC, the higher graphics like the HD4890 will be the price of the 4870 by the time FFXIV comes out but if you are buying now this is my recommendations)

CPU: Intel core i7 920 8 core 2.66ghz@3.2ghz (overclock) £200 (the 920 can only support upto 1333mhz ram, get the 975 for 2ghz+)

Motherboard: Gigabyte Ex58-UD5 (supports all i7 processors, all ddr3 ram, 2Ghz+, 3 slots for graphics cards and a 7.1 channel HD soundcard built in, also 6 RAM channels) £180

RAM: 3x4GB DDR3 1333Mhz corsair xms3 (motherboard can hold 6 sticks but you wont need for a while) £140

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD4870 1GB GDDR5 (can put 2 more in motherboard and use crossfire later down the line) £160

Antec Twelve Hundred Case: £100 (coming down in price, cant confirm price is still that high)

Total: £780

This Spec will cost about £2000 prebuilt.

If you want an awesome monitor check out the Edge10 24", they go for about £140 atm.
    Syno23
    Syno23

Post  Syno23 Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:24 pm

You should clock your Core i7 to 3.33 GHZ and you should get an ATI HD RADEON 4870X2, they're much more faster and will run FFXIV much better.
    Mujahed
    Mujahed

Post  Mujahed Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:40 pm

I know you reading this, just post what you are using. Hardware or Software.
    Mujahed
    Mujahed

Post  Mujahed Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:29 am

I would disagree concerning the Graphic card you guys are providing, I think the GeForce GTX 295 is much better.
    Yoruichi
    Yoruichi

Post  Yoruichi Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:36 am

Nvidia have focused on laptop cards for ages and ATI have focused on desktops, I know some people have an unhealthy obsession with recommending nvidia cards, look up the benchmarks, the multi-card bandwidth limits and the clock/RAM speeds, ATI will win, and will be cheaper.

I recommend the 4870/4890 due to insanely powerful GDDR5 RAM and a higher bandwidth with crossfire than SLI.

Unless you want to dedicate your PC to folding@home nvidia will lose every comparison test, the more cards you have in your motherboard, the bigger the gap.

ATI is harder to configure if you run Linux however, I had to write my own xorg.conf file from scratch whereas nvidia drivers are more supported by non-Windows/Mac systems.

Aslong as you use Windows or dont mind some config with Linux, go ATI.
    JezuitX
    JezuitX

Post  JezuitX Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:20 am

Right now I'm putting it off until around Turkey day. I'm hoping a lot of PC sites are going to go all black friday on their good s***. I'm looking to move up to an Intel®️ Core™️ i7-920 2.66GHz and around 7 GB of DDR3 RAM (seems like just a year ago having 3GB of RAM would damn near break my wallet in half). Also, if I'm not completely broke I might buy a Radeon HD 4870 graphics card to cap the whole thing off.
    Yoruichi
    Yoruichi

Post  Yoruichi Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:25 am

ye, around September/October theres usually a price drop so you can reassess your budget/parts

Although I assure I come from an experienced background it never hurts to check out performance benchmark results, that way you know exactly what you're getting rather than just from someone's recommendation Smile

and ye, back in February this year 6gb 1033MHz DDR3 RAM cost me bout £180 now the same ram is available for £70.

The graphics cards are due to fall soon too I think if they haven't already, you may be able to pick up a 4890 or a 4870x2 for a decent price.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 am